Sep 12, 2012

The other day I met a bear

It was a beautiful day ☀ Snoop and I decided to go for a long walk in the woods. We usually walk 1.5 to 2 hours, so we were both ready for this long one.

As soon as we got to the trail head, I noticed a white piece of paper on the information board. "Bear Sighting. Keep your dog on a leash". People left the date & time when they saw the bear. The last one was... about one hour ago.

...hhhhmmmm....

Snoop looked up and asked, "Hey Mom, what are you doing?". The trail seems so nice with the beautiful green leaves, nice breeze and sun shining through the trees... How can I say no to this?

OK, I will go for a bit. Without carrying a bear bell, I started singing a song loud. The first one that came out was..."The other day I met a bear" in Japanese! .... That's probably not an appropriate one...

BTW, do you know this song "The other day I met a bear"? Any Japanese person knows this as we learn it when we are kids. I remember it was originally in English, so I was curious to check it out. I was so shocked to find the facts... If you don't know the song, here is the song by Barenaked Ladies. (You can skip the advertisement)

It's shockingly different in Japanese... there is no Gun! It's a song for kids, so we don't say Gun. Guns are not popular in Japan. Anyway, in the Japanese version, a girl meets a bear in the woods, he tells the girl to run away (doesn't say why in the lyrics), but the bear keeps running after her because he picked up a pair of white sea-shell earrings that the girl dropped, and they sing and dance together in a happy ending... I was laughing hard when I found out the English lyrics!

Anyway, to go back to my story today, I didn't meet the bear, but when I found a very fresh bear poop with lots of berries, I decided to turn around and go back ... I don't carry a gun!

He might be dreaming about the bear.... zzz....zzz...



1 comment:

  1. Mom and Dad A9/13/12, 6:12 AM

    Love that picture of Snoop!
    There is a kids song in English about bears in the woods, but it's about Teddybears, "The Teddybears Picnic".

    We'd say it's a good choice to leave the woods at the sign of the bear..please don't wait till
    you see him. Love you!

    ReplyDelete